Monday, April 30, 2012

Magical Study

A lovely friend lent me a book by Scott Cunningham called Earth Power. It explains different ways of interacting with the earth in magical ways. Cunningham refers to this as "folk magic" that is used everyday by ordinary people:

"It has been said that magic was the first religion, and that if you lovingly utilize the forces of nature to cause beneficial change, you also become one with them. It is these powers that have been personified as Gods and Goddesses. Attuning with them is a spiritual experience and is the basis of all true religion."

Cunningham describes earth based magic as uncomplicated and wonderful. That really speaks to me, as I am more drawn to a spiritual practice that is lighthearted and spontaneous. I sing and make offerings when I feel moved to do so, rather than because I have to follow a specific forumla. I am excited to read more about it. This image of a woman studying magic in the garden is of course how I like to think I appear when I am sitting on a lawnchair in my backyard. Ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment