Sunday, May 13, 2012

Celebrating the Divine Feminine

Yesterday was Mothers Day, a time to honor the mothers in your life and tell them how much you love them. In addition to enjoying the company of my own mother, I also reflected upon the mother archetype. It is a powerful and fascinating concept. To "mother" something is to nurture, to watch over, to protect it. Although I have no children, I do feel that I have "mothered" the people in my life at various times. And not just people, but animals and plants too.

Despite my insistence (mainly to myself) that I am a solitary pagan practitioner, I attended a pagan service yesterday morning in which both the recent Beltane and Mother's Day was discussed. The priestess spoke of the sensuality (not to be confused with sexuality) of Beltane. All those wonderful things that please our five senses around this time of year. The songs of birds, scent of flowers, the feeling of soft grass, all sensual sensations that draw us in and make us feel good. And humans are creatures who like feeling good!

These sensual things, the priestess argued, could be seen as an invitation to become intimate with nature. Intimate in the true sense, is about listening, looking, and enjoying each other. The earth is offering us sights and sounds that please us - what a gift and reason to rejoice! No wonder I feel so good around this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment