Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Creating Sacred Spaces

I've mentioned my garden circle several times on this blog, usually when I have added to it in some way. The space has evolved both in how it looks and how I use it over the past two years. Currently, it's borders are marked with large rocks that are large enough to sit on. In the center is a fountain, and there are small trees and shrubs growing randomly along the edges. I use this space primarily to relax and contemplate after a long day, usually with a cup of tea in hand. I also use it to have serious or important talks with people. The space is special because it has been infused with meaning.

After many discussions (some in the circle ha ha!) we have decided to make completing this space our next project. Our plan is to enclose the space further, replace the grassy surface with a stone patio, and turn the border into a moon garden by adding white and silver plants. I know, it's a big project and a lot of work. I have a little experience with the planting aspect, but neither of us have ever tried to lay down a patio before.

Researching online gave me the impression that "a dedicated couple could complete a small patio project over several weekends". So we have given ourselves a six week deadline, which conveniently lands at the same time we are hosting a rehearsal dinner for dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment