Monday, March 26, 2012

Childhood

I have one friend who was raised in a pagan family. In fact, he is the only person I know who was raised with pagan traditions. During a long trip in the car together, I took the opportunity to tell him that I was embarking on a pagan path. I was a bit nervous, but there was no need to be. My friend was supportive, genuinely excited for me, and very encouraging.

I told him about how I had so many memories of being a child and talking to trees and animals, something I feel silly telling other people. My friend was silent for a moment and then he said, "Maybe those things you did as a child were a lot more important than you think they were". I sat silent for a moment thinking about the implications of this. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks! I've always been pagan! As a small child, unaffected and genuine, I wanted to do these things! It never went away, I just learned to disguise it. This thought was very validating. My friend and I spent the rest of the car ride talking about different ritual ideas and recent celebrations. I have never felt so confident or excited talking about spirituality before. It was just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment