Monday, September 10, 2012

Preparing for Mabon

The celebration of the Autumn equinox, Mabon, is coming!

The evening air is becoming cooler, and the young crows in my neighbourhood now have all their jet black feathers. My home feels cozier, and the scent of comfort food simmering on the stove fills the kitchen. Soon I will be exchanging my summer jacket for a heavier coat, and wearing boots instead of sandals. I love the beginning of the Autumn season.

The sabbat of Mabon essentially looks the same as Thanksgiving. I say looks the same because well, it has nothing to do with pilgrims or turkeys! The celebration revolves around a large feast, friends, family, gratitude, and the final harvest of the year. In addition, offerings are made to trees to thank them for the sustenance they provided during the year, and herbs are gathered and dried. "Mabon is a time to finish old business as we ready for a period of rest, relaxation, and reflection". Old business could mean anything from finishing a home project to making peace with your ex-partner. If any unresolved issues are keeping you up at night, now is a great time to say your piece, and move on.

Ironically, my days at work during this time of year are busier than ever! A lot of new projects and responsibilities begin and it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Still, I try and incorporate some of the spirit of Mabon into my daily work life in little ways - like taking time to breath!

On the home front this year, we will be pressing apples for cider, brewing a pumpkin ale, and making herb bundles. The celebration is only two weeks away, so I doubt the ale will be ready by then (or if it is it probably won't be one worth drinking!). I always feel nervous inviting people over to pagan celebrations, so it usually ends up being a select few who I know won't roll their eyes at me when I give some of my wine to the tree in the backyard. Ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment