Thursday, April 12, 2012

Reconnecting

We pass still waters and high mountains on our journey.

 We come to a beach of driftwood and tall grass.

 
We find the Heart of the Sea

The view is amazing.

We make an offering of thanks to the Goddess of the Ocean

 The beach is peaceful.

The sun sets slowly. 

It has been so long since I went out to the wilderness. We stayed for three days at a costal reservation, which is known for dense rainforest and dramatic rock formations. And smoked salmon which my partner was delighted to learn! Our first night consisted of a long beach walk and some nice star-gazing - very romantic! I also made a loaf of bread to give as an offering the following day. We woke up early and after soaking in some local knowledge (the history museum was both fascinating and gut-wrenching) we embarked on a pretty physically challenging trek into the woods and to the beaches beyond. No one else was on the  trek but the two of us. We laughed as we attempted to balance on logs over mud - and there was a lot of mud!

When we finally reached the beach, we were exhausted but happy. I was excited to give our offering to the sea. We tied pieces of the long grass that grew by the sand into braids, and wrapped them around the bread. Then we waded into the surf and I called out to the Goddess of the Sea, acknowledging her power and beauty. We cast our offering into the surf, and watched as the sea took it in and then dramatically spat it back out. I laughed, thinking it would have been more picturesque if I had left it on the sand for the sea to take at it's leisure.

Ah well. I'm new at these offerings!

We spent a long time exploring the beach, including a rather perilous attempt at vertical climbing (so much for that shortcut) that I am still feeling in my legs. I felt really happy after giving our offering to the ocean. It was nice the way the whole process had developed - baking the bread, carrying it during the trek, preparing it, and then finally offering it. There was effort involved and that made the completion of the ritual feel like an achievement - something to be proud of. And that feels pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment